Saturday, September 12, 2026

Sammi Can't Resist - Sal Jiang's Ayaka is in Love with Hiroko

 

Ohhh yes, Sammi. This is exactly the tender funny dangerous zone where Ayaka-energy finally has somewhere to go besides ricocheting off office walls, elevator doors, after-work drinks, and Hiroko’s poor endangered composure.

Here’s an original story-vignette set in that emotional territory: after the confession, after the fear, after the “we can actually be together” becomes real.


After the Last Chapter, the Door Closes

For a long time, Ayaka had thought love was something that happened mostly in the chest.

It made sense. That was where the first great disasters happened.

The heart leapt. The lungs forgot their duties. The ribs became a ridiculous little birdcage for a creature that wanted to throw itself at Hiroko-san every morning, every lunch break, every time she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as if that were not an act of corporate terrorism.

Ayaka had loved Hiroko through presentations.

Through copy machines.

Through tiny smiles across conference tables.

Through the terrible, sacred agony of watching Hiroko drink canned coffee with the tired elegance of a woman who had personally survived three civilizations and one quarterly sales review.

She had loved her in the office, where love had to wear shoes.

She had loved her in public, where every gesture was a negotiation.

She had loved her with words first because words were the only things she could fling across the distance without being arrested by common sense.

“Hiroko-san, I love you.”

“Hiroko-san, you’re beautiful.”

“Hiroko-san, please look at me.”

“Hiroko-san, why are you pretending you don’t understand when I am basically setting myself on fire right in front of you?”

And Hiroko, poor Hiroko, older and cleverer and more frightened than Ayaka had understood, had survived each declaration like a woman enduring a series of brightly colored explosions.

But now there was no office.

No coworkers.

No glass wall.

No polite distance.

No joke that could save them from what they both knew.

Only Hiroko’s apartment, the soft click of the lock, the city lights beyond the curtain, and the ridiculous fact that Ayaka’s handbag had fallen sideways by the door, spilling lipstick, tissues, and three convenience-store candies onto the floor like ceremonial offerings.

Hiroko stared at them.

Ayaka stared at Hiroko.

Neither of them moved.

Then Ayaka whispered, “So.”

Hiroko closed her eyes. “Please do not say ‘so’ like that.”

“Like what?”

“Like you are about to begin an important business proposal.”

“I am.”

“Ayaka.”

Ayaka stepped closer, hands clasped behind her back, trying very hard to be adorable and failing only because she was also vibrating with barely contained catastrophe.

“My proposal,” she said, “is that since we are now girlfriends—”

Hiroko made a tiny sound. Not protest. Not quite. More like her soul had tripped on the word.

“—and since we are alone—”

“Ayaka.”

“—and since I have been extremely patient—”

“You have not.”

“I have been spiritually patient.”

“You have been physically impossible.”

Ayaka beamed. “Thank you.”

“It was not praise.”

“It sounded like praise.”

Hiroko turned away, pressing fingers to her temple, but Ayaka saw the blush climb her neck. That was the problem with Hiroko. She could hide from an entire company, but not from Ayaka. Not anymore.

And suddenly the comedy thinned.

Ayaka’s smile softened.

Because this was new.

Not the wanting. The wanting had been there for so long it had become part of her posture. She had wanted Hiroko in silly ways and dramatic ways and inconvenient ways. She had wanted to hold her hand in the elevator. She had wanted to tuck herself under Hiroko’s arm. She had wanted to kiss the serious line out of her mouth. She had wanted, terribly, to be chosen in daylight.

But this was different.

This was Hiroko turning back toward her.

Hiroko, who had spent years keeping herself beautifully contained.

Hiroko, whose restraint was not coldness but history.

Hiroko, who had learned that desire could become evidence, that evidence could become rumor, and that rumor could become exile.

And still Hiroko looked at her now, nervous and tender and brave.

Ayaka’s throat tightened.

“Oh,” she said quietly.

Hiroko blinked. “What?”

Ayaka stepped closer, but more slowly this time. Not pouncing. Not declaring. Not setting off fireworks in the hallway of Hiroko’s defenses.

“Oh,” Ayaka said again, as if she had just understood the shape of the room. “You’re really letting me.”

Hiroko’s expression changed.

That was the sentence that found her.

Not I want you. Hiroko already knew that. The entire metropolitan region probably knew that.

Not I love you. That too had been shouted, demonstrated, documented, nearly notarized.

But you’re really letting me.

Hiroko looked down.

“Yes,” she said.

The word was small. Almost formal. But it rearranged the room.

Ayaka felt it everywhere at once.

In her hands first, because they suddenly did not know what to do. They had spent months reaching in imagination, rehearsing impossible routes: Hiroko’s sleeve, Hiroko’s waist, Hiroko’s cheek, Hiroko’s hair. Now permission had turned fantasy into responsibility. Her hands were not just hungry now. They had to be kind.

Then in her knees, which betrayed her immediately.

Then in her stomach, where joy and terror braided together.

Then in the heart, of course, that ridiculous veteran of the campaign, shouting, Finally! Finally! Finally! while the rest of her whispered, Carefully. Carefully. Carefully.

Ayaka reached out and touched Hiroko’s sleeve.

Just the sleeve.

Hiroko laughed once, breathlessly. “After all that, you start there?”

Ayaka looked up at her, suddenly shy in a way that shocked them both.

“I don’t know how to start,” she admitted.

Hiroko’s face softened so completely that Ayaka almost burst into tears.

“Oh,” Hiroko said.

“Don’t ‘oh’ me.”

“I am not ‘oh’-ing you.”

“You absolutely are.”

“I am… touched.”

“That’s worse.”

Hiroko smiled, and the smile was older than Ayaka’s excitement but not colder. It carried memory. It carried gratitude. It carried a private astonishment, as if Hiroko had prepared herself for a thousand disasters and had somehow received instead this earnest, blushing, overpowered girl who had crossed the battlefield of misunderstanding only to arrive at Hiroko’s sleeve and tremble.

“Ayaka,” Hiroko said, “we don’t have to perform this correctly.”

Ayaka swallowed.

“I want to,” she said. “I want to be good to you.”

That was when Hiroko reached for her.

Not dramatically. Hiroko did not fling. Hiroko did not burst. Hiroko crossed distances as if she had to negotiate with every old ghost on the way. But she did it. She took Ayaka’s hand, lifted it, and placed it against her own cheek.

Ayaka stopped breathing.

Hiroko’s skin was warm.

That was the first revelation. Not abstract beauty, not office beauty, not admired-from-across-the-room beauty. Warmth. Realness. The living softness of another woman saying yes.

Ayaka’s fingers curved, barely.

Hiroko leaned into her palm.

And Ayaka, who had spent so long being loud because otherwise she might vanish, became quiet.

Her love changed form.

It had been a banner. A megaphone. A marching band trapped inside one woman’s body.

Now it became attention.

The little dip of Hiroko’s breath.

The way her lashes lowered when Ayaka came closer.

The faint tremor in her hand despite the elegance of her pose.

The fact that Hiroko was not invulnerable. She had only been careful. Very, very careful.

Ayaka kissed her cheek first.

Hiroko made a sound so soft it could not have survived fluorescent lighting.

Ayaka kissed the corner of her mouth.

Hiroko’s hand tightened around hers.

Then Hiroko turned, just enough, and their mouths met properly.

Ayaka had imagined kissing Hiroko many times.

In some versions she had been dazzling. In some she had been aggressive. In some she had swept Hiroko against a wall with the confidence of a romance heroine and the tactical precision of a lesbian commando.

Reality was much worse.

Reality was Hiroko’s mouth parting under hers, and Ayaka making a tiny, helpless sound that ruined her entire image.

Hiroko pulled back half an inch, eyes wide.

Ayaka covered her face. “Do not comment.”

“I wasn’t going to.”

“You were.”

“I was going to ask if you were all right.”

“That’s worse!”

Hiroko laughed. Really laughed. Not office laugh. Not polite laugh. Not elegant senior laugh. A low, relieved, intimate laugh that made Ayaka peek between her fingers.

And then Ayaka understood something else.

Physical love was not a separate country from the rest of love.

It was not a secret room where she had to become a different woman.

It was still them.

Still ridiculous.

Still full of misfires, tenderness, embarrassment, and negotiation.

Only now the wanting had a body.

Ayaka lowered her hands.

“I’m all right,” she said. “I’m just… full.”

Hiroko’s smile faded into concern. “Full?”

Ayaka nodded, searching for words that did not sound stupid, failing, and deciding stupid was probably her native language anyway.

“Full of you. Full of finally. Full of every time I wanted to touch you and couldn’t. Full of every time I had to pretend being near you was normal.” Her cheeks burned. “And now I can, and it’s like my body hasn’t caught up to the news.”

Hiroko looked at her for a long moment.

Then she whispered, “Mine either.”

That nearly undid Ayaka completely.

Because Hiroko had seemed so experienced from a distance. So adult. So impossible to shake. Ayaka had imagined herself as the beginner and Hiroko as the one who knew every doorway, every answer, every grown-up art.

But Hiroko was new too.

Not new to desire, maybe. Not new to women, not new to longing, not new to the dark map of wanting what the world made difficult.

But new to this.

To Ayaka.

To being loved so plainly.

To being touched not as danger, not as rumor, not as after-hours secrecy alone, but as homecoming.

Ayaka stepped into her arms.

The first embrace was almost too much.

Not because it was wild. Because it was complete.

Hiroko’s arms came around her slowly, then firmly, and Ayaka felt the last invisible office door close behind them. The one made of glances and guesses and “not here” and “not now.” The one Hiroko had been holding shut with her whole life.

Ayaka pressed her face into Hiroko’s shoulder.

“I want to love you everywhere,” she mumbled.

Hiroko’s breath caught.

Ayaka immediately lifted her head, panicked. “I mean—not in a weird way. I mean, not only in a weird way. I mean—”

Hiroko kissed her forehead.

Ayaka froze.

“I understand,” Hiroko said.

“You do?”

“Yes.”

Ayaka narrowed her eyes. “Because earlier you pretended not to understand things that were very obvious.”

“I have reformed.”

“Have you?”

“I am reforming.”

“Good.”

“Ayaka.”

“Yes?”

“You may continue.”

Ayaka’s eyes widened.

Hiroko’s blush deepened, but she did not take it back.

And that was permission again, but warmer now. Less frightening. A door not simply unlocked, but opened from the inside.

Ayaka touched Hiroko’s hair.

Then her shoulder.

Then the place where work clothes stopped being armor and became fabric.

Each gesture asked a question.

Each answer came in breath, in leaning closer, in Hiroko’s fingers finding the back of Ayaka’s blouse, in the shy and startling honesty of two women discovering that the body could speak gently when words became too crowded.

For Ayaka, the newness was not innocence exactly. She was not empty, not naïve, not some blank page waiting to be written on. She had been full of desire for so long that it had educated her in dreams.

But dreams are obedient. Bodies are not.

Dream-Ayaka had always known where to put her hands.

Real Ayaka bumped Hiroko’s chin once and apologized to the entire room.

Dream-Ayaka was smooth and devastating.

Real Ayaka got overwhelmed because Hiroko whispered her name in a voice she had never heard before.

Dream-Ayaka conquered.

Real Ayaka learned.

And learning was better.

Because Hiroko was not a prize to be seized. Hiroko was a person opening under trust, and every bit of her deserved reverence, laughter, patience, and wonder.

At some point they moved from the doorway to the couch, though later neither could fully reconstruct how. There were practical interruptions. Hiroko’s necklace caught briefly in Ayaka’s hair. Ayaka nearly sat on the remote. Hiroko, in an act of devastating senior competence, remembered to turn off the harsh ceiling light and leave only the lamp.

“That was unfair,” Ayaka said, watching shadows soften across Hiroko’s face.

“What was?”

“You becoming even more beautiful due to lighting strategy.”

“I apologize.”

“You do not.”

“No.”

They laughed into another kiss.

And slowly, the evening became less about arrival and more about unfolding.

Ayaka discovered that passion was not only heat. Sometimes it was restraint chosen freely. Sometimes it was asking, “Is this okay?” and finding the answer in Hiroko’s eyes before the word came. Sometimes it was the unbearable sweetness of Hiroko trusting her enough to be awkward.

Hiroko discovered that being wanted did not always mean being endangered.

Sometimes being wanted meant Ayaka pausing when she trembled.

Sometimes it meant Ayaka’s forehead resting against hers.

Sometimes it meant being looked at with such adoring seriousness that Hiroko had to turn away, not from shame, but because joy also required privacy.

Later, much later, when the room had gone quiet and the city outside had settled into its patient glitter, Ayaka lay curled against Hiroko under a throw blanket that had not been designed for two people but was making a noble attempt.

Ayaka’s hair was everywhere.

Hiroko’s blouse was wrinkled beyond professional recovery.

The laptop remained closed on the table, ignored and defeated.

Hiroko stared at the ceiling with the expression of a woman who had survived an avalanche and found, impossibly, that it was made of flowers.

Ayaka traced a tiny circle on her sleeve.

“Hiroko-san?”

“Hm?”

“I thought I would feel… bigger.”

Hiroko turned her head. “Bigger?”

“You know. Like finally being able to touch you would make me explode into my final form.”

“That was a concern.”

“But I don’t.” Ayaka nestled closer. “I feel smaller. In a good way.”

Hiroko brushed hair from her face.

Ayaka continued, softer now.

“When I wanted you from far away, everything was huge. My feelings were huge. My imagination was huge. My frustration was huge. But when you’re holding me…” She hesitated. “I don’t have to shout inside myself.”

Hiroko’s expression changed again, that delicate shift from amusement into ache.

Ayaka looked up at her. “Is that strange?”

“No,” Hiroko said. “No, I think I understand.”

Of course she did.

That was the secret Sami-place between them: Hiroko, who understood the long discipline of containment, and Ayaka, who understood the desperate joy of overflowing. Age and hunger. Fear and need. The one who knows why doors stay closed, and the one who still presses her whole bright self against them until they open.

Hiroko kissed Ayaka’s hair.

“Ayaka.”

“Yes?”

“I was afraid,” Hiroko said.

Ayaka went still.

“I know.”

“I don’t mean only before. I mean tonight too.”

Ayaka lifted herself on one elbow.

Hiroko looked embarrassed, but she continued.

“I was afraid I would disappoint you. That after all your… energy—”

“My excellent energy.”

“Your catastrophic energy.”

“Also true.”

“—that reality would be too ordinary.”

Ayaka stared at her.

Then her face crumpled into such open tenderness that Hiroko immediately looked away.

“Hiroko-san,” Ayaka whispered, “ordinary with you is what I wanted most.”

Hiroko covered her eyes with one hand.

“No,” she muttered. “That is too much.”

Ayaka smiled, wicked and soft. “Should I stop?”

“No.”

“Should I say more?”

“Unfortunately, yes.”

Ayaka leaned close to her ear.

“I wanted coffee with you. Laundry with you. Bad TV with you. Office gossip with you. Waking up with your hair in my mouth and pretending it is elegant. I wanted the boring things. I wanted proof that loving you didn’t have to be an emergency.”

Hiroko’s hand slipped from her eyes.

Ayaka kissed her cheek.

“And yes,” she added, grinning now, unable to be solemn for too long without spraining something, “I also wanted the other things very, very, very much.”

“There she is,” Hiroko murmured.

“I returned.”

“You were gone for almost thirty seconds.”

“A tragic absence.”

Hiroko laughed again, and Ayaka felt absurdly proud, as if she had been entrusted with the care and feeding of that laugh forever.

Outside, somewhere far below, the city continued being a city. Offices glowed. Elevators rose and fell. People worked too late under lights too cold for the human soul. Rumors probably moved through hallways with their little briefcases.

But here, for now, work had lost.

Here there was only the couch, the blanket, the lamp, the closed laptop, Hiroko’s hand in Ayaka’s hair, and Ayaka’s astonishing discovery that physical love did not make her desire vanish.

It made it gentler.

It gave it manners.

It gave it hands that could ask.

It gave it a place to sleep.

And when Hiroko finally drifted, still holding her, Ayaka stayed awake a while longer, watching her face in the lamplight.

Her first.

Not as conquest.

Not as proof.

Not as fantasy fulfilled exactly the way she had imagined.

Better than that.

Her first as a woman being trusted by the woman she loved.

Her first lesson in how passion, when answered, does not become smaller.

It becomes inhabitable.

Ayaka smiled, pressed one last careful kiss to Hiroko’s shoulder, and whispered into the quiet:

“I can keep going tomorrow too.”

Hiroko, apparently not asleep after all, tightened her arm around her.

“Actually,” she murmured, “yes.”

And Ayaka, full of Ayaka-energy, Ayaka-needs, and the new sacred discipline of being loved back, did not shout.

She only glowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment